Tuesday, February 13, 2007

My Migraine

It's been a long time, I know, but for some reason I just haven't felt like writing. In the meantime, I've been planning fun stuff like Little Chub's 1st Birthday Party, and what I'll do for Peter for Valentine's Day. Both of those include lots of yummy things to bake. Yum yum!

While I was at the store last night getting supplies for both events, I lost about 40-50% of my vision, from the sides and the top. I knew from past experience that this meant a migraine was coming on soon, so I rushed to do the last thing I needed, then went and grabbed a new bottle of Tylenol (a substitute, really) since we were out at home, and drove home, very worried that Peter was going to be gone all night and I would have to deal with Little Chub with one of the incapacitating kinds of migraines. (They vary for me, from really painful to crying in my bed in a dark room with something cold on my head and covering my eyes, with no sounds nearby if at all possible, and throwing up.) The normal pattern for a bad one starts with the vision loss. BUT, if I can catch them early with Tylenol, before my head starts to hurt, I can usually stave off the worst, and sometimes all, of the pain. So I rushed home (with Little Chub SCREAMING the whole way), where I found, to my delight, that Peter had gotten home early! I took my Tylenol (lots, because I needed it), and lay on the couch with a sweater over my head, trying to see if I could keep the migraine from getting bad. My head was hurting, and throbbing a little, as my migraines always do, but, it never got to the incapacitating point! I also ate some ice cream (which I had conveniently purchased at the store, for Peter's special Valentine's treat I'm going to make, and for Little Chub's party). It was wonderful! It had been such a long time! Yummy delightful ice cream!

It was such a blessing that I was at the store and able to get Tylenol (and ice cream!) when the first migraine signs hit, and that I made it home and took some in time to keep the worst from happening. I try not to take Tylenol very much at all, especially when I'm pregnant, but I have to admit, since I started getting migraines, whenever I feel a headache at all, I take some, because they have been known to develop from something that starts off feeling really minor. So, who knows how many times I would have gotten a minor migraine that I didn't because of that magical ability my body has to curb it when I take Tylenol in time.

Anyway, there was more interesting stuff I wanted to say besides talking about my migraine (which has been residually with me all day), but now I'm out of steam. More later, I promise! 'Bout Little Chub!

No comments: