Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Little Chub's New Bed

Well, we did it! We finally sprung for a Uhaul, and we went and bought Little Chub her own twin sized bed. I decided on Friday that the next day, we were getting a bed no matter what. So, I looked on craigslist and found someone who was selling a brand new in the wrapping with warranty twin mattress with boxspring for $127. I arranged to meet with them (at their warehouse), we rented a Uhaul cargo van, and we went and bought the mattress. We actually ended up buying the next mattress up, which she sold to me for $177, because it has a 15 year warranty, and it seemed like a better quality mattress.

I decided that since I would probably never have a Uhaul again, I was going to try my darnedest to find a free couch to pick up too, but it had to pass the looks test, because once I bring one 'new' couch into this house, Peter will buck against me ever getting a different one, no matter how ugly the one we have is. As it is, he thinks our caved in, stained, and incredibly uncomfortable loveseat is sufficient, and doesn't understand why I want a long, comfy, you-can-lay-down-and-read-a-book-in-it couch, and preferably one that is nice-ish looking (and I'm really not all that picky, because most couches are a major improvement over what we have!).

Craigslist again--I found a nice looking long blue comfy couch for free, first come first served, pick it up off the sidewalk sort of deal. I really wanted to hurry to get that couch! So after we picked up the bed, we ate lunch, checked our email, brought the bed upstairs, and then went to get the couch. The person who offered it said they would take down the ad when it was taken. The ad was still up! It was feeling urgent though. We drove across several towns about 30 minutes to where the couch was located. WAS is the operative word here. When we got there, it was gone. WAHHHH! We drove all the way back home (mind you, we're paying .59 a mile here, and this was not exactly close to our house), and I spent the next several hours checking and rechecking every source I could think of to find a couch we could get, to no avail. We ended up taking the van back, with no new couch.

Overall, though, I have to say the day was a winner. Peter didn't see the need for a bed for Little Chub either (which I assure him would change if he had to wake up several times a night to feed her), so getting the bed was a W for me. I was the one that ended up driving it all over the whole bay area, because Peter was tired, and he followed me everywhere in our car, with Little Chub. I ended up really enjoying this--it was kind of exhilarating, which probably makes Real and Mommymonster9 laugh, and shows that I need to get out more...

The best part is, we have the bed on the floor, next to our bed, which is also on the floor, and Little Chub has spent the last three nights with plenty of room to sleep the way she likes to, and hasn't woken up more than three times on any of those nights! Last night I realized she was waking up one of the times because I nursed her, and then fell asleep afterward without rolling away from her and giving her lots of space, and after that she slept till the morning. YAY! Hopefully it's just a matter of time now until she learns to sleep all night long. I'm hoping this happens before #2 comes along in September...

For now, YAY for Little Chub's bed!

No comments: