Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Is This Bad?

So, Peter is TAing this quarter, and all of a sudden early this week, he found out that he has to grade the midterm (with several other TA's) this Friday, which happens to be his birthday. The head TA asked them all to put in their votes for what time to start the grading, with starting times ranging from 12:30-5pm, and the grading taking 3-5 hours. This didn't seem so bad at first--we figured he could vote for 12:30, and maybe a lot of people would also vote for earlier, because, who actually wants to spend all Friday night grading anyway? I also told Peter he should tell the head TA it's his birthday, and maybe he will have pity on him.

Well, unfortunately for us, nobody could agree on a time, so no matter what time the head TA chose, someone was going to get screwed (pardon my strong language). Really unfortunately for us, he chose 5pm, and Peter has a lecture from 2:15-3:45 before that, and a discussion before that... So, birthday plans would be out. Except--here's where my question comes in--I emailed the head TA. (Peter forwarded me the head TA's decision.) This is what I said:

"Hi--

Sorry to email you even though you don't know me. This is Peter Lewis' wife, and he has no idea I'm emailing you, and was too polite to tell you, but Friday is his birthday, and we actually have dinner plans for around 6pm. Is there any way this can be accomodated? I understand if there's nothing you can do, but we've been looking forward to celebrating his birthday.

Thanks!"

and signed my name

I really wanted to be more strong about it and say,

"I don't know what you're thinking having a grading session so late at night, ESPECIALLY on a Friday! I know this may be an inconceivable thought to you, but SOME people actually have families! Friday is my husband's birthday, and you better let him out of this or you're going to pay!"

To be fair to him, he had no idea it was Peter's birthday on Friday, and he probably has no idea that Peter has a pregnant (and therefore emotional) wife and a baby. Even so, it probably wouldn't be fair to everyone else to think about us when making schedules anyway. But, I'm hoping something will come of it. Maybe he'll let him go early.

I don't mind when Peter is gone a lot. The part I hate the most is when he always has to be gone at night. Which happened last night, and is happening tonight. Hopefully not tomorrow night! Mostly, I want to at least be able to celebrate his birthday with the dinner plans we have (thank goodness it's not a reservation!). Birthdays are really important to me!

Anyway, what do you think?

No comments: