Tuesday, January 30, 2007

An Inconvenient Truth

Stanford played this movie last night, and some friends invited us to go see it with them. We'd already seen it, but since we almost never do anything social, we decided to go. We really like hanging out with the people we know here, but since everyone has kids, and all of the kids are on different schedules, it gets kinda crazy. (For example, their little boy, who is a few months older than Little Chub, just went to bed, around 7pm, for the night. No crying or fussing or anything!) So, their son went to bed and Little Chub came with us to the movie. We were a little nervous about this, but, we don't have any easy picks for babysitters yet because the people we want to eventually babysit exchange with had their baby only a month ago. Definitely not time to toss Little Chub on them!!

Anyway, I think this movie, although a little dry, is a very important movie for everyone to see. I know there are still people out there who don't believe that global warming is even real, based on faulty criticism it received years ago. The sad (and yes, inconvenient) truth is that the reality of global warming is not in dispute right now. So, even though there is a lot I could say about that, I think Al Gore does a better job of it. I'm not a "global warmist" (nice word, huh?) anyway, I'm a linguist, which is what makes me feel like I can make up words like global warmist. *snort snort*

Anyway, see the movie. Even if you don't agree, or it doesn't interest you. Everybody, in this country especially, has a responsibility to try to DO something about this, and you can start by watching this movie, and paying attention the the suggestions they put in during the ending credits. I know there are tons of things I can change that could start to make tiny dents in our CO2 output. If everyone made these changes, think where we would be!


And, if you have some legitimate issues with the movie, post them on my comments. I'd really love to see if anyone who disagrees actually has a leg to stand on.

By the way, Little Chub did pretty well at the movie. We had to take her out a few times, and stand with her quite a bit, but only because she was making some noises that the average movie watcher probably gets annoyed at, and we didn't really feel like making any enemies...

1 comment:

Real said...

So is "Inconvenient Truth" the name of the movie?

I'm actually not a global warmist. Not that I'm super well-read on the topic. Not that I've even seen the movie you are referring to. I actually didn't know that there was a controversy about it. I just thought I was a freak. LOL!

Anyway, maybe I'll just have to see your movie and tell you what I think. : )