Monday, April 30, 2007

Night Weaning

We've officially begun night weaning Little Chub, as of last night. This time, there is NO turning back (just because I say so). Peter was a pro last night and he put her to sleep by rubbing her back and singing to her while she cried for about 20 minutes before falling asleep. We put her to sleep on the guest bed for now, which was a last minute decision. I was originally going to sleep on the guest bed while Peter and Little Chub slept on our bed, and then we were going to try transitioning her to her own room in August or so, but he decided at the beginning that she needed to be away from the place where she associates nursing and sleeping. So, she woke up once, after about 3 or 4 hours, then a couple hours later she fell off the bed. Both times he went in to her (he was going to sleep with her, but decided to sleep in our room with his alarm clock so he could snooze it four or five times...) and rubbed her back and sang to her, and she was back to sleep within about 5 minutes both times. Little Chub woke up in a great mood, but Peter is tired because he's not used to getting interrupted sleep. All in all, last night was a great success, but I have NOT forgotten that the first night we tried the Ferber-ish cry-it-out method with her, she fell asleep after 15 minutes and slept well all night long... I'm hoping she is more ready this time around. I feel bad about it, but I am just not one of those moms that can keep nursing a kid during the night until they are 3 or 4 (or really, even 2). We think she's more ready right now because she actually slept through the night twice last week (!!!!), and then woke up only once the two nights after that, which is the best four nights of her entire life.

I was originally planning on still nursing her to sleep for her naps, but now I'm not sure if I want to do that because I really want her to not associate nursing with sleeping in any way anymore, and I'm afraid that would slow down our progress at night. I really am sad that she is pretty much not nursing anymore, especially with not nursing for sleep anymore. I wanted to breastfeed her for at least 18 months, but, as it is, she pretty much isn't getting any milk when she nurses anyway. So now I'm conflicted.

Wish us luck for tonight!

1 comment:

Real said...

Mmmmmm....Sleeping through the night. Sounds dreamy! I hope it goes well and quickly.