Saturday, June 13, 2009

Half Marathon in Two Weeks

My race is coming up so quickly! Today we ran our longest run before the half-marathon (11.2 miles) and starting next week we'll be tapering a bit so our poor legs have some time to recover. While we were running today, I was talking to my training buddies (Brittney and Nicole) and we were all talking about how none of us ever would have thought ourselves capable of running such long distances. We were running for 2 hrs 18 minutes today (no stopping and no walking!! Well, there were a few stoplights but I jog in place at them so I don't creak when I start back up again...). That's a LONG time to be running (or, jogging--you can do the math if you like--we're not doing this for time)! And honestly, parts of my legs and feet hurt SO BADLY after about 5 miles, but it's really helpful to have a goal and a training schedule to keep me on track. My only goal is to finish the race without walking, so that's my goal for each training run, too.

On our shorter runs (5 miles), we've been focusing on running a bit faster, so our pace is about 30-45 seconds faster per mile on those days than it is for our long runs. Now, after our "halfie", we'll be focusing on speed and hills more, rather than distance, but our base distance will still be 5 miles. AND we'll probably be doing a sprint triathlon in August. Woohoo!

Hooray for getting fit!

10 comments:

Peg Lewis said...

This is so awesome! and inspiring... It's a little awkward to run in missionary duds here at Temple Square but it's tempting. I do break into a little jog when I don't think anyone's looking...

Running is so awesome. I ran everywhere when I was a kid, when I wasn't on my bike. Why do we ever stop?

We're cheering for you!

brittney said...

wahooo! you're the best personal trainer a friend could ask for. Lets do this.

Katie Richins said...

You are seriously so cool. I can't believe you are doing this! I talk myself out of too many things, and am not willing to put in the work, but this is awesome.

Martie said...

You're doing such an admirable job. I want you to know that even thought I am far away, I am really rooting for you! Have P take lots of pics of your big day, OK? Keep it up!!

Martie

Real said...

What is the timing on this? Are you running your half marathon the day you leave to come see us? Or what?

MandaMommy said...

We leave today (Thursday) and the half marathon is SATURDAY!!!!!

Real said...

So does that mean you are missing the run or is it someplace else that you will do on your trip?

MandaMommy said...

Today we're driving to Crater Lake, camping one night then tomorrow driving the rest of the way to Bend, OR, where the race is. So I'll have a nice pasta dinner tomorrow night, then we're actually staying in a hotel (!) so that my back isn't killing me for the race on Saturday. After the race, we're heading off in your direction and breaking the drive in two by camping in Snake River NCA in southwestern Idaho (which we've always wanted to see, same as Crater Lake for me) and then we'll catch an afternoon Sacrament meeting and a quick raptor flight show and then we'll be off to see you guys. Complicated way of getting to Sandy, but we figure as long as we're doing all of this driving to the race and to Utah, we might as well make the most of it.

Martie said...

Hi! I just wanted to let you know that I am rooting for you tomorrow!!

MandaMommy said...

Thanks!!! (I'm leaving for the race in a few minutes...)