Friday, September 14, 2007

How We're Doing

Lest you all sit at home biting your fingernails with worry that things are not going well over here, I thought I'd let you know that things are going GREAT! They could be better, a little, but all in all it's great. My midwife gave me a nipple shield to use with The Shrimp, since she has such a tiny mouth, and now, even though we still use that for almost every feeding, and for the whole time, most of the time, she is at the breast for every feeding which makes me very happy. Now if I could consistently get her to stay awake while she's eating, we could transition off of this thing! (It's a miracle, by the way. I think it really would have helped with Little Chub.)

Aside from that, Shrimp's bilirubin level went down, so we don't have to take her back to the pediatrician anymore, and thank goodness for that because we think she already caught a cold there. She only had 5 heel pricks and 1 shot total in her first week of life. Welcome to the world Shrimpy! It actually got harder and harder to watch them prick her and squeeze blood drops from her heel. I would have thought it would have gotten easier, but by the last time, I was pretty much crawling in my skin. Shrimp has almost no jaundice left, and she's really cute.

Little Chub is doing great. She sometimes gets a little jealous of The Shrimp and tries to throw her off of my lap, so I try to make special time to read stories with her on my lap, because that's her favorite thing in the whole world. She is trying to learn how to be soft ("sof") and gentle ("jettow"). She is having a blast playing with her Aunt Chicki who is here visiting with us. She also has really big feet all of a sudden. They grew through 2 sizes in a matter of weeks, and now I have to go to the store and buy her more, when I just bought her two new pairs about 4 weeks ago. And one of them was actually not on clearance. Go figure. At least now The Shrimp will inherit a really nice barely worn pair of shoes in a year and a half or so.

Little Chub also is a little bit jealous of the fact that The Shrimp gets to nurse. I let her try every time she wants to (we even tried tandem nursing once), but she has no idea how to do it anymore. I wish she did. I feel sad that she was weaned so early. The big change in Little Chub's life is the hardest part for me in the transition to having two kids. Sometimes she's sad now and there's nothing I can do about it, and it makes me feel like I've abandoned her. But we're trying to get into a rhythm, and eventually, Little Chub will get used to having her little sister ("sissi").

As for me, I wouldn't mind if every postpartum period was just like this one, because I'm not sure if it's possible for it to be any better! I had to force myself to sit around for the first few days, on the command of my midwife. I feel great! The only physical complaint was those durned afterpains. And those are a distant memory for me now.

Hooray for having babies! I even had them both, all by myself while they both needed me...for about 30 minutes...

The real fun begins next Wednesday.

4 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Yay!!!!

I love breast sheilds-- really!

I'm so glad everyone is great-- my nails are non-existant!

Kisses to the babies :)

You're making me wish I could have another one right now!!!!

Anonymous said...

That's just so beautiful! I miss my Sweet Girl so much! Maybe we'll pop down for a visit.

How about some more photos of The Shrimp, and of course Little Chub is always a super subject for photos! We know you have them...

Great great story. Thanks for sharing. My heart is deeply smitten... Love to all, G of All

Katie Richins said...

I just so glad things are going well for you! You sound practically euphoric, and I know that's not because it's all a breeze - you just seem to be handling it well. Yay for that!! It is hard to see your own little baby (by that I mean little chub) become the mature big sister who has to wait her turn for help and attention at times, isn't it. I would just hug Mads and miss her even though she was right there. I definitely mourned for that special relationship and closeness we had.
Anyway, my heart is all pitter-patting at the excitement of it all. Good job!

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad to hear that you are all adjusting well. Thank you for the newsy update and for sharing your birth story with us! You have a beautiful family.

Love,
M>