Saturday, September 01, 2007

False Labor!

Argh! If I'm going to be waking up at night with contractions, couldn't it at least be the real thing?

Last night I woke up feeling like I had horrible cramps, but it just so happened to fade away after a minute or so. Then it happened again a few minutes later, and faded away. And happened again. And then I got a whole bunch of Braxton-Hicksy contractions one right after the other for a really long time. Then I went to sleep.

Those were the most frequent contractions I've ever had, including Little Chub's labor, but as I was lying in bed trying to sleep instead of pay attention to contractions that were obviously not at least active labor, I kept repeating in my head "longer, stronger, and closer together" and it just didn't fit. *sigh* Oh well. One good thing that came of it is that I realized that I should at least pack a bag for Little Chub with clothes and diapers to drop off with her at our friends if labor happens before my sister gets here. So that's done now, as well as the bag to bring to the birth center with us. And the video camera is charging. Now the only things left to do are to find a place for the 5,000 hangers sitting in our hallway that I took out of the girls' closet, and install Little Chub's convertible car seat in the rear facing position (she got a new Stage 2! oooooh!).

Wow. That's crazy. When did I get so on top of things?

Today is 38 weeks, by the way.

2 comments:

Real said...

Not "false labor!" Just prodromal labor. It's REAL labor where your body is getting things done but you get a big break and more chance for sleep before the baby comes! Woohoo! Sounds like things are happening. We are so excited. And good for you for lying there and trying to get more sleep! That's hard.

MandaMommy said...

Yeah--the word prodromal has been floating through my head every day for the last week, in an eerie sort of way. It is exciting! Strangely, last night was the first night that none of the feeling like something contractions happened, but, never fear--I've had some today. :o) I wonder which I would prefer--long prodromal labor and a shorter active labor, or longer active labor? I think the first sounds much nicer...