Tuesday, October 07, 2008

High Fructose Corn Syrup = Bad For You!!

While thumbing through my new FamilyFun magazine today, I was appalled to come across this ad. Basically, the Corn Refiner's Association has decided that they aren't making enough money now that many people are aware of the health risks and detriments of high fructose corn syrup (HFCS), and has decided to go on an 18 month long ad campaign letting the American public know the "facts" about HFCS. They say that HFCS is "nutritionally the same as table sugar and honey" and spout off a bunch of other mistruths on their website, conveniently leaving out a lot of important information (such as the fact that fructose [like high fructose corn syrup] is converted into fat after reaching the liver instead of being broken down before like glucose [table sugar is half glucose and half fructose]).

So, sure, I eat HFCS sometimes, like most people, although it's not a regular part of our diet. But I definitely DON'T fall for the idea that HFCS is "natural" as the Corn Refiner's Association asserts in their commercials. That's just a bunch of bull honkey.

3 comments:

Katie Richins said...

Yikes! I really hate those kinds of campaigns. I'm trying to lessen our use of processed corn products, but it's everywhere! Still, we're doing pretty well.

Martie said...

Us too. HFCS is bad stuff. Too bad so many people will fall for what they're saying in the campaign.

Natalee Maynes said...

I totally saw that ad and was SO confused. I wasn't sure who was duping me--the corn syrup people or the health magazines. Good to have it cleared up :) Also, your profile picture is SOOOOO cute. I miss talking to you now that your not my VT. We should get a group together for lunch or something. Or even better, maybe Red Mango :)