Monday, September 22, 2008

WARNING: Don't read until after Thanksgiving!

I'm reeeeeally picky about women's voices, and I'm even pickier about what versions of O Holy Night I enjoy listening to because to me it's a song that should be sung with light pure voices and is often sung operatically instead (blecccchhhhhhh!), with heavy vibrato. So, I'm always on the lookout for good versions of the song, and while I was browsing through Christmas music on youtube and Amazon today (I know, I know...), I came across this:

Celtic Woman/Chloe Agnew - O Holy Night

Oh my goodness! I LOVE it! These voices are exactly the kind I love! They sing so beautifully!

This one is for Eloise: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKrx-4Awe70&feature=related
(Look into Celtic Woman in general... Warning: The video looks a little cheesy sometimes.)

Here are a few other great Christmas songs I came across today, to give you a little head start for the upcoming holiday season:

Michael Buble - The Christmas Song Who am I kidding? Anything Michael Buble! (White Christmas, I'll Be Home for Christmas, Let it Snow...)

The Carpenters - There's No Place Like Home for the Holidays
Okay, anything Carpenters too.

Harry Connick Jr. - Christmas Waltz (no recording--can anyone find one?)

And of course, all the classics by Frank Sinatra, Perry Como, Nat King Cole, Bing Crosby, etc.

Coventry Carol

Josh Groban - What Child is This?

3 comments:

Elizabeth said...

URGHHHH

Coventry Carol= tears/chills/wah

Miss singing with you :(

Real said...

My favorite carol is O Holy Night and I agree with you about the operatic way people insist that it be sung. When I was in chorale in Tucson we practiced (but never peformed) an arrangement of O Holy Night for the double trio. It was the most beautiful arrangement I have ever heard. I don't remember it all now but the thing that sticks in my head is a big downbeat rest before coming in on the second beat with "Fall on your knees..." and "Hear the angel voices."

So powerful. And we certainly didn't sing it operatically.

brittney said...

yea for christmas music at any time of the year! What fun projects are we doing this year and when will we start?